Coffee is a powerful wave of flavor that transmits energy and motivation, and to be honest, no one can help but smile when baristas bring their creativity to the designs in a cup of coffee.
In the world of coffee, a “coffee wave” refers to many people who enjoy consuming coffee in the morning or the afternoon. According to the International Coffee Organization (ICO), 2.25 billion cups of coffee are consumed daily.
Keep reading to learn about waves of coffee as a consumption trend, its continued growth, and more about it.
Discover the meaning of coffee waves
The “waves” of coffee are the trends that coffee sets in terms of consumer preferences throughout history. These are stages or periods in which there is evidence of an evolution in the industrialization processes and changes in the citizens’ consumption.
Coffee waves in history
Until now, three waves of coffee have been identified throughout history. However, many say that there are three waves.
First coffee wave:
- In 1800, coffee became widespread. Then, in 1881, a new invention appeared: instant coffee.
- The world realized that instant coffee was practical, quick, and easy to prepare at home.
- Instant coffee consumption increased significantly, taking into account the caffeine quantity and without considering the quality of the grain and the process.
- The coffee with milk in the morning acquires a lot of success and acceptance in this period.
- The Italians created the “cappuccino.”
Second coffee wave
- It arises with the invention of the espresso coffee machine.
- Increase and expansion of Starbucks coffee shops.
- There is evidence of a change in consumption habits, and people leave home or work to drink coffee in cafeterias or enjoy a good coffee prepared by experts.
- Coffee growers improve bean quality.
- The people begin experimenting with new recipes, flavors, and textures.
- The coffee shop product is valued, so baristas are beginning to specialize in luxury coffee.
Third coffee wave
- Emphasis is placed on quality and traceability.
- The consumer seeks information about the type of coffee he consumes; questions arise about the origin of coffee, processing, methods, benefits, and consequences for health.
- Producers provide the necessary data to know everything about coffee.
- Professionals in the area qualify the specialty coffee through its body, sweetness, acidity, texture, and other qualities.
- There is greater social responsibility in the coffee industry.
- Direct trade with producers to achieve sustainable coffee.
Are you willing to be part of this new wave? The coffee trend demands professionalism and quality from us to obtain the best flavor with responsibility towards the environment. At 360F Coffee, we are committed to everyone who makes up the coffee chain and our customers. We focus on bringing the best product to your table so you can enjoy your special moment with its splendid aroma.